Executive Director, Open Floor International July 2020 – Current
Hired as OFI’s first paid executive director after organization transitioned from an LLC to a nonprofit. In the short term, the goal is to establish the new position, strengthen the new nonprofit infrastructure, and set up the organization for fundraising success. The first tasks will be to facilitate a strategic plan and first time work plans for marketing and development, while carrying out the work of the former volunteer executive director. The journey has begun!
Director of Development, Community Bridges Watsonville, CA · Sept 2017 – March 2019
In collaboration with the CEO and 9 program directors, secured $2 million annually from three Galas, major and annual giving campaigns, foundation grants and business sponsorships for a $16 million dollar social service agency primarily supported by government contracts. Managed agency marketing and communications. Facilitated a strategic visioning process to restate mission, vision and first-time organizational values. Updated fundraising policies, procedures, board handbook, and board giving plan. Upgraded CRM. Identified grants and events sponsorships as highest potential revenue sources. Doubled net revenue at 2 major events. Secured 8 new and lapsed grants.
Major Gifts Officer, San Francisco Bay Area, Compassion & Choices Denver, CO Feb 2016 – May 2017
Major gifts officer with a portfolio of 150+ individuals and foundations. Research, solicit and secure gifts of $10,000+ for a $18 million dollar education and advocacy organization working to bring choice and comfort to the end of life. Managed special cultivation and fundraising events, including the San Francisco Empowerment Luncheon for 200, raising $135,000. Served on the Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
Director of Development, MAPS Santa Cruz, CA Sept 2011–Sept 2015
Hired as MAPS first Development Director to lead fundraising for a fast growing medical research and education non-profit. During my tenure, core (non-bequest) contributed revenue doubled to $2.3 million, and number of donors increased 50%. Led process to clarify and restate mission, vision and values. Established new fundraising policies and processes. Selected new CRM and managed migration. Grew development team from 1⁄2 FTE to 4 FTE. Identified and hired new CFO. Grew planned giving program from 19 to 57 participants. Worked with the Executive Director to increase major gifts from 40 to 140+, and with Communications Director to increase crowdfunding from $4,000 to $144,000. Managed 8 – 12 donor cultivation and fundraising events in as many cities annually. Directed an international conference with 2,000 attendees from 30 countries netting over $100,000.
Director of Development, Carmel Bach Festival Carmel, CA March 2009–Sept 2011 Worked with the Board and Executive director to secure contributed revenue of over one million dollars annually for one of America’s leading Bach Festivals. Developed and wrote three-year strategic plan adopted by the Board of Directors. Reinvigorated planned giving program with new marketing materials and annual workplan. Increased revenue from major donors through annual Gala, and the 50th anniversary and music director transition campaigns.
Director of Development and Marketing, KUSP Public Radio Santa Cruz, CA Oct 2007–Dec 2008
Responsible for the marketing and development activities of NPR affiliated public radio station that raised $1 million annually. Secured new major gifts and grants from supporters in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties.Managed 10-day on-air pledge drives, and directed on-air, streamed and televised auction. Established, supported and staffed new volunteer major gifts committee. Secured new funding to support the local broadcasts of Monterey Jazz Festival, Carmel Bach Festival, and Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music.
Executive Director, Santa Cruz Symphony Santa Cruz, CA July 2004 – July 2007 Responsibilities included planning, budgeting, fundraising, and the management of marketing and administrative staff and programs for a professional symphony orchestra. Negotiated collective bargaining agreements with musician and stagehand unions, and contracts with soloists and their agents. Conceived and produced financially successful Symphony-Beatles inspired collaboration with rock band. Secured $65,000 donation for a Steinway Grand PianoGrew contributed revenue 30%, secured new grant sources and individual gifts. Engaged the loyalty and support of the Symphony League fundraising volunteers, increasing their annual gift from $15,000 to $60,000. Grants used as positive examples at the Santa Cruz Arts Council, Community Foundation Santa Cruz County, and Hewlett Foundation.
Associate Director, The Arts Council Silicon Valley San Jose, CA 1994 – 1997
Supervised grant-making and fundraising training programs and staff. Managed financial, personnel, information systems and special projects. Trained artists to raise money. Served on the Board of Director’s program and finance committees. Assumed management in absence of the executive director.
Business Manager, The Global Fund for Women Menlo Park, CA 1990 – 1994 Responsible for financial and administrative needs of a feminist international grant-making organization. Developed business systems as organization grew from $600,000 to $1.8 million annual budget. Served as Russia specialist. Traveled to then Soviet Union and to Mexico to advise on business systems for newly emerging NGOs.
Founder and Co-Director, Soviet American Performing Arts Exchange San Francisco 1988 – 1990
Founded a cultural exchange organization. Traveled to the Soviet Union and located and negotiated with Russian performance artists, Derevo. Booked, financed and toured California, while partner toured Russia with Margie Jenkins Dance Company, and Yoko Ono.
- Standards of Excellence, Licensed Consultant, November 2019
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), August 2018
- Master in Business Administration (MBA), Santa Clara University
- Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude. San Francisco State University. Graduated with Department Honor in International Relations. Studied Russian in the Soviet Union.
Volunteer Projects and Associations
- Board Member, The New Ballet, San Jose, CA, 2016 to present
- Board Member and Board Chair of Fundraising and Finance, Santa Cruz County Friends of the Rail & Trail, CA 2018 to present
- Board Secretary, Felton Grove Road Association, present and periodic since 2001
- Active Participant, San Lorenzo Valley Anti-Racism Collation, present
- Finance Committee Member, Pacific Collegiate School, Santa Cruz—2013/2014
- Working Group Member, City of Santa Cruz Cultural Plan—2007/2008
- Board Member, Pajaro Valley Performing Arts Association, Watsonville—2005 to 2007
- Co-Chair, Cultural Council Associates—2004 to 2007
- Board Member, Cultural Council Santa Cruz County—2005/06
Speaking and Training
- Speaker, “The Executive Director and Development Director Relationship,” Association of Fundraising Professionals Masters Program, September 5, 2019
- Speaker, “The End of Life Option Act,” multiple sites in the San Francisco Bay Area 2016-2017
- Speaker, “Fundraising for Controversial Causes,” Women’s Visionary Congress, Marin, CA—Aug. 2016
- Speaker, The Psychology of the Future Seminar, online—May 2015
- Speaker, The Nature of Consciousness Conference, Brain, Mind and Consciousness Society, UCSC—May 2015
- Speaker, “New Therapies and Research,” Sofia University, Palo Alto, CA—April 2015
- Speaker, “Science Not Fear – Drug Policy and Medical Research,” TEDx Santa Cruz — April 2014
- Grants Panel Member, Office of Cultural Affairs, City of San Jose—2006 through 2015
- Workshop Leader, Securing Grants from Public Agencies, City of San Jose —2009/2010
- Leadership Santa Cruz County, August 2019 – June 2020
- Presenting Data and Information, Edward Tufte, San Jose December 2019
- Licensed Consultant Training, Standards of Excellence Institute, Baltimore, November 2019
- Social Media in the Social Sector: Evolving Ethical Responsibility, Joan Harrington, Santa Clara University, August 2019
- R.D. Laing in the 21st Century: What is Authenticity? The Esalen Institute, July 2019
- Engage.Next 6.0 The Annual Conference on Community Engagement in the Arts, SV Creates, San Jose April 2019
- Taking Evidence Based Practices to the Next Level, Nichole Young, County of Santa Cruz, 2019
- Ethics and Nonprofit Accountability, Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University March 2019
- Leadership in the Face of Conflict, Dr. Dick Schwartz and Stephen Roof, Conflict Resolution Center, Santa Cruz, February 2019